In 2016, the National Parkinson Foundation merged with the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation to form the Parkinson’s Foundation. Today, with offices in New York City and Miami, the Parkinson’s Foundation works towards making life better for people with Parkinson’s disease by improving care and advancing research toward a cure.
History of the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation
The Parkinson's Disease Foundation was the first private foundation in the U.S. created to advance research into the cause of and cure for Parkinson's disease (PD), while assisting those living with PD.
In 1957, William Black, founder of a New York coffee and restaurant business, Chock Full O’Nuts, started the foundation after learning that his controller and close friend was diagnosed with Parkinson’s. Mr. Black used his own money to establish the foundation with the single goal of establishing a research program aimed at finding effective drug treatments for the disease.
Mr. Black met with H. Houston Merritt, MD, Chair of Neurology at Columbia University, and Melvin D. Yahr, MD, Professor of Neurology and Associate Dean of Columbia University medical school, to help create the first major research center for Parkinson’s. He made two major gifts to the university: one helped build the research laboratory building that is now named after him and conducts Parkinson’s research; the other to endow support for that research.
Historically, the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation worked closely with Mr. Black’s Chock Full O‘Nuts company on several PD awareness initiatives that elevated the foundation’s mission.
After Mr. Black died in 1983, his widow Page Morton Black, became Chairman, advocating for the PD community for more than 30 years, until her resignation in 2012. She served as Chairman Emeritus until her death in July 2013.
Over time, the foundation expanded its scope to a nationwide level. In 1999, the organization completed a merger with the United Parkinson Foundation, a Chicago-based Parkinson's organization. In addition to its ongoing education and advocacy efforts, the foundation still funds major research programs at Columbia University, Weill Cornell Medical Center, Rush University Medical Center and individual investigators and fellows around the world.
History of the National Parkinson Foundation
When Mrs. Jeanne C. Levey founded the National Parkinson Foundation in 1957, little was known about Parkinson's disease (PD). Mrs. Levey and her husband who was diagnosed with Parkinson’s retired to Miami, FL, where Mrs. Levey set out to help people with PD. For 22 years, until her death at age 92, Mrs. Levey nurtured the foundation and watched it grow, as more and more persons became involved with and benefited from the work of the foundation.
In 1979, the Board of Directors faced the challenge of replacing Mrs. Levey, and it turned to fellow board member Nathan Slewett, a successful businessman and attorney in South Florida. At the age of 66, Mr. Slewett became President and, later, Chairman of the Board. He served as Chairman Emeritus until his death in 2010.
Mr. Slewett brought in celebrities such as Bob Hope and Dick Clark to annual fundraising events, helping elevate the foundation’s mission. Mr. Slewett created the popular patient education series addressing important topics in Parkinson’s for patients, caregivers and families. The National Parkinson Foundation was the first PD nonprofit to recognize the need of socioeconomically disadvantaged and minority patients.
During his tenure, the foundation: funded more than $182 million in research and support services; established a scientific advisory board and the Centers of Excellence network that consists of leading universities throughout the world; gave prominent researchers and scientists their start in the field through grant funding; and garnered international recognition.
In 2009, the foundation launched what is now the largest-ever clinical study of Parkinson’s disease with 10,000 participants in four countries called the Parkinson’s Outcomes Project.