Stairway Safety Tips
- Adequate lighting on steps
- Apply brightly colored tape to the top and bottom steps to signal beginning and end of the steps.
- Apply non-skid surfaces to the steps.
- Install a ramp over the steps if unable to safely climb steps.
- If unable to use a walker, cane or mobility aid on steps, place a second aid at the top or bottom for safety.
- Install handrails on at least one side of the steps. Handrails two to three inches from the wall permit good grasp.
- Keep steps clutter free.
Want to Learn More?
Request a free copy of this NPF manual:
Falls Prevention Book
Medical content reviewed by: Nina Browner, MD—Medical Director of the NPF Center of Excellence at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in North Carolina and by Fernando Pagan, MD—Medical Director of the NPF Center of Excellence at Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, D.C.